- Depression affects over 19 million Americans each year.
- Fewer than 50% of depressed people seek treatment.
- Statistically, twice as many women experience clinical depression as men.
- 80% of the suicides in the US are men.
- Men may experience depression differently (See below).
- Depression often coexists with other medical or mental illnesses like Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) and Heart Disease
- The ratio of male to female substance abusers is 4 men for every woman.
- Men and women are equally at risk for Bipolar depression.
- Depression before puberty is uncommon.
- 2% – 3% of teenagers get depressed each year.
- Depression rates go up during the holiday season when changing from Daylight Savings Time to Standard Time.
- Post major surgery depression is common.
- 30% of smokers are depressed.
- “Foods”, like sweets and alcohol, exacerbate depression. The body processes alcohol into sugars.
- Depression is the number one cause of death in heart disease patients.
- Medication is only successful in 20-30% of depression cases.
Symptoms of Typical (overt) Depression
- Depressed mood.
- Diminished interest or pleasure in activities.
- Significant change in appetite or weight.
- Sleep disturbances (to much/to little).
- Restlessness or sluggishness.
- Fatigue or loss of energy.
- Lack of concentration or indecision.
- Feelings of worthlessness.
- Feelings of inappropriate guilt.
- Thoughts of death or suicide.
Symptoms of Male (covert/atypical) Depression
- Avoids intimacy with self or others.
- Excessive use of alcohol, drugs or other forms of self-medication.
- Lashing out or hostility: Potential for domestic abuse.
- Need to control at all costs.
- Ashamed of who they are.
- Inflated ego.
- Angry, irritable, restless and agitated.
- Creates conflict.
If you or someone you know is experiencing these symptoms, get help immediately. The combination of therapy, exercise, and medication (if necessary) offer the best long term results. While it is true that depression is a chemical imbalance in the brain, my belief, as well as the belief of others, is that there is an underlying emotional cause. If we lesson the impact of the cause, ultimately we lessen the depression. Energy Psychology Methods offer quicker results than traditional methods.
Free Depression Screening
Life Script Mental Health Counseling Services now offers free depression screening in Rochester NY. The process takes about 10 minutes, and is strictly confidential. Once you have completed the screening, we can discuss a course of action for you, without obligation.
To download the form, click here.
You may schedule an in-office, in-person screening by calling 585-704-0376.